If you are interested in organizing a Dup15q Alliance Believe Walk, but the idea makes you a little nervous, there’s an easy alternative to hosting a walk set up over a 5K course. Instead, hold the event at a local park, high school or junior high with a nice track or stadium.
If you are interested in organizing a Believe Walk contact Believe@dup15q.org and we can help you each step of the way!
General Guidelines and Tips!
- Select a location at least 6 months in advance.
- Visit the site to ensure that it will be adequate.
- Contact the school and/or the school district to reserve the space. (There is usually a small charge and a little paperwork involved)
- Be sure to get all of the details of the equipment you have access to and what the school may be able to provide, such as:
- Sound system
- Tables, chairs
- Contact Dup15q Alliance at email@example.com to get a copy of insurance certificate to provide to the school.
It is useful to have a few people to help with organization prior to the event. It is also very helpful to have volunteers to help the day of the event.
5K is approximately 12 laps around the track. We used traffic cones to differentiate between walk and run lanes. Stroller and wheelchairs were allowed in the walk lanes.
Many walk locations hire various services to entertain the kids at the event. Some ideas include: Balloon Artist, Face painters, Bubble Machines, Super Heroes, ot setting up a game area.
Many event provide light snacks for registered guest by reaching out to local grocery stores for donations.
- Fresh fruit
Provided by the Alliance
- Promotional Signs/Fliers
- Send invitation emails to local families and supporters
- Setup and management of Online Registration
- T-shirts (designed by Alliance and ordered through the Alliance website when people register)
- Large banner
- Balloons (You can purchase a helium tank from a party store or have the party store fill balloons for you. Cost is typically similar.)
- Informational signs
- Informational brochures
Also, note that Dup15q Alliance will reimburse you for all costs incurred or will issue you a tax receipt for expenses that you wish to donate.